The following are required in order to be considered for entrance into the Practical Nursing Program.
1. Participate in an online information session.
Join a live virtual Zoom information session to learn more about the practical nursing program, curriculum, admissions requirements including the Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS), financial aid availability, and to meet faculty and current student or program graduates. Register now to obtain the Zoom meeting link information.
2. TEAS entrance exam
Penn State Hazleton is offering the TEAS testing online. Take the test from your home or office using your laptop or computer.
For more information, contact Gina at [email protected] or 570-450-3110.
All candidates must take the ATI TEAS exam as a prerequisite for admission.
Visit the ATI Testing website to set up an account, learn more about the exam content, testing dates, and registration.
When registering for the ATI test, it is important to note that there is a test fee. This test fee is nonrefundable and non-transferrable. Add Penn State Hazleton as your school of choice.
Testing date information
- Individuals MUST present a valid photo ID and their ATI username and password
- Calculators NOT allowed
- Test sessions are 4-hour periods
- Classroom will be open 30 minutes before the scheduled test time. Please plan to arrive 15 minutes before the scheduled test time. Those entering late will NOT be allowed to test.
Applicants who meet or exceed program TEAS exam criteria will be invited to apply and interview for admission to the program.
In addition to the application, please provide:
- $50 nonrefundable application fee (check or money order payable to Penn State University) Note: Due to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, the university has decided to waive the $50 application fee at this time.
- Official transcripts – Your official high school or GED transcript with a record of courses completed. If you have earned college credit, you will also be required to provide an official transcript from each college attended.
- Two letters of professional reference
- A one-page personal essay describing your desire to become a nurse.
Application materials should be mailed to:
Penn State Hazleton
76 University Drive
Hazleton PA 18202
After the TEAS is completed successfully and above application materials are received, interviews will be scheduled.
Applicants are considered based on their academic capacity and aptitude to provide care to others. Academic capacity is measured by high school GPA, number of college credits earned, and the TEAS exam score. Aptitude to provide care is measured by your personal essay, letters of professional reference and personal interview skills.
Upon acceptance to the Practical Nursing Program, you will be required to complete the following clearances and program requirements:
- Federal (FBI) Criminal History Report*
- PA Child Abuse History Clearance*
- PA State Police Request for Criminal Record Check*
- Physical exam (includes immunizations)
- 9-panel drug screen
- Proof of health insurance coverage
- Proof of liability insurance coverage
Penn State Practical Nursing Program will not discriminate in the acceptance process due to a criminal history; however anyone with a positive criminal background check (felony or misdemeanors) may be accepted into the program PENDING clinical facility placement. If clinical facilities deny a student access to their facility for clinical experiences, the student will not be able to progress through the program and therefore, acceptance will be denied.
In addition, the Penn State Practical Nursing program cannot guarantee that candidates with a positive criminal background will be eligible to obtain licensure per PA State Laws (“The Professional Nursing Law” Act 69, P.L. 409, No. 10, and P.L 233, No. 64; Older Adults Protective Services Act, Act 169 as amended by Act 13, P.L. 233, and No. 64).