Thank you for your interest in the practical nursing program at Penn State Hazleton. The current class has been filled. Our next program begins in August 2022.
In the meantime, learn more about the program by attending one of our upcoming virtual information sessions listed below.
About the Program
The mission of the Penn State Hazleton Practical Nursing Program is to provide a high quality non-credit certificate program, delivered through a part-time, evening, and weekend curriculum, to prepare individuals with the knowledge, skills, values and attitudes essential for practical nursing practice and the knowledge necessary to pass the NCLEX-PN.
In just 18 months, you can be on your way to an in-demand career that pays well and provides you an opportunity to further your education in the future.
This evening and weekend program consists of the following classroom and clinical curriculum, with all programming done under the supervision of qualified nursing instructors:
- Structure and function of the human body
- Fundamentals of practical nursing
- Concepts of basic medical-surgical nursing care
- Nursing care of adults and children
- Nursing care of the adult
Upon completion of the Practical Nursing program, the graduate will:
- Utilize, under supervision, scientific knowledge and skills necessary to plan and provide safe and comprehensive client-centered nursing care in all settings where nursing takes place
- Perform nursing care that reflects accurate assessments of the client's growth and development
- Apply the nursing processes in meeting the client's needs
- Demonstrate effective written and verbal communication skills
- Perform in a legal and ethical manner
- Administer medications in the healthcare setting with accuracy
- Participate with members of the healthcare team in providing instruction for identified client healthcare needs
- Utilize information technology in providing basic care
NOTE: Students who graduate from the Practical Nursing program meet the educational requirements to sit for the National Council Licensure Examination for Practical Nurses (NCLEX-PN).
Penn State Hazleton
76 University Drive
Hazleton, PA 18202
Many U.S. states and territories require professional licensure/certification to be employed. If you plan to pursue employment in a licensed profession after completing this program, please visit the Professional Licensure/Certification Disclosures by State interactive map.
Tuition cost: $17,325 - includes tuition, books and supplies, and uniforms.
NOTE: Student financial aid is available for those who qualify. Interested students can submit a free online application at www.fafsa.gov. (PSU school code 003329). Students enrolled in the PN program will be reviewed for both federal Pell Grant, as well as federal Direct Stafford loan eligibility. The program also qualifies for Veteran Education Benefits. For more information, please visit the Office of Student Aid website or contact the Office of Student Aid at 570-450-3163.
Admission Process & Application
Please review the checklist for practical nursing application.
Learn more about the practical nursing program and additional healthcare programs at Penn State Hazleton by attending one of our online information sessions.
- Wednesday, Nov. 10, 6 p.m.
Register by calling 570-450-3110 or email Gina Regula at [email protected].
If you are unable to participate in one of our sessions, please contact the Continuing Education Office to schedule an appointment with the practical nursing program coordinator to discuss the program.
Entrance Exam (TEAS) Test Dates
Additional information on the TEAS entrance exam is available in the checklist for practical nursing application.
- Monday, Nov. 15, 9 a.m. - 1 p.m.
- Wednesday, Dec. 8, 5-9 p.m.
- Monday, Jan. 17, 2022, 9 a.m. - 1 p.m.
- Wednesday, Feb. 9, 2022, 5-9 p.m.
- Friday, Feb. 25, 2022, 9 a.m. - 1 p.m.
- Saturday, March 5, 2022, 9 a.m. - 1 p.m.
- Monday, March 21, 2022, 5-9 p.m.
- Wednesday, April 6, 2022, 9 a.m. - 1 p.m.
- Monday, April 25, 2022, 5-9 p.m.
- Wednesday, May 4, 2022, 9 a.m. - 1 p.m.
- Monday, May 16, 2022, 5-9 p.m.
Class size is limited so sign up today by contacting Gina Regula at [email protected] or the Continuing Education office at 570-450-3110.
A TEAS study manual (ATI TEAS® Study Manual Seventh Edition ISBN 978-1-56533-1990-0) is available for purchase through Amazon or ATITesting.com. The book contains instructional material for each of the four subject areas assessed, practice problems with explanatory answer keys, two comprehensive practice tests with explanatory answer keys and a detailed glossary of terms used throughout the guide.