The Living and Learning Communities Program at Penn State Hazleton helps to create experiences that enhance the formal academic education of Penn State students by providing opportunities for creative expression, experimental learning, ethical leadership and service in a learning environment.
In all of our Special Living Options, students will have the opportunity to:
- explore opportunities to engage in the campus community that connect to their academic pursuits or area of interest
- become familiar with resources and supports available to them in their academic college or area of interest
- connect and build relationships with students and their SLO and in their academic college or area of interest
- connect and build relationships with faculty and staff members in their academic college or area of interest
- and explore opportunities for engaged scholarship within their academic college or area of interest.
Staff and Faculty Support
The Living and Learning Communities Program is a joint initiative of Housing & Food Services, Residence Life and Academic Affairs. Jointly, these offices have made it a priority to establish programs within the residential community and to provide the programs with financial and human resources.
Each Living and Learning Communities (LLC) has advisers who work together to provide direct support to the students living in the community and to facilitate various programs for engagement. One of the advisers is a Residence Life staff member who focuses on maintaining a living environment that is conducive to studies, developing a community relationships among the students, and facilitating activities that meet the needs and interests of the population. Other advisers are either faculty or staff members with knowledge and passion related to the specific purpose of each LLC. Each LLC has a resident assistant (RA) who lives in the residential community and has the responsibility to provide additional support and engagement opportunities for the students in the LLC.
Living and Learning Communities at Penn State Hazleton include:
- PTA HOUSE for students in the Physical Therapist Assistant degree program
- STEM Society for students interested in a science, technology, engineering or math major.