Ámbar De La Rosa selected as Hazleton's November student of the month

Woman dressed in business casual, white pantsuit, outdoors with snow and trees in background.

Ambar De La Rosa was selected as student of the month for November.

Credit: Penn State

HAZLETON, Pa. — Ámbar De La Rosa, a first-year Penn State Hazleton student majoring in psychology, has been named Student of the Month for November.  

According to her nominator, De La Rosa is an active leader on campus and an involved community member. This is proven by her leadership as president of LatinX Culture Club, her involvement with the community with events such as the Peace Chalk event at the Hazleton Art League and creating pins for Day of the Dead events.

“She is not only a motivated, organized, diligent and involved student, but she is also a leader in the LatinX Culture Club,” wrote De La Rosa’s nominator, adding that she actively works with students who need extra help with their pronunciation and their Spanish presentations.   

She was nominated for her civility in and out of the classroom, her academic achievement as well as her community involvement.  

De La Rosa said she was grateful and honored to receive this award and mentioned how nice it is to see that her hard work and sacrifices are appreciated and recognized on campus.  

“I have been faced with many obstacles in this semester that have helped me grow into becoming a more determined person in achieving my goals,” said De La Rosa. “I really want to thank my friends and family who have supported me on this journey.” 

De La Rosa is the mother of three boys and originally from the Dominican Republic. She graduated from Liceo Mauricio Baez High School and continued to attend Universidad Autonoma de Santo Domingo before moving to the United States in 2010.