June 16, 2021
HAZLETON, Pa. — Several Penn State Hazleton faculty and staff earned awards for their outstanding service to students and the campus during the 2020-21 academic year.
Chancellor Gary M. Lawler and Associate Director of Academic Affairs Maggie Gordon Froelich announced the recipients and presented them with their plaques at a recent gathering attended by nominees and livestreamed to the campus community.
- Karen Stylianides, assistant teaching professor of kinesiology, was presented with the Butler Technology and Teaching Award, which recognizes faculty who demonstrate outstanding innovation in the use of computer technology in the classroom. The selection committee considers creativity and originality of the project and whether it has had a positive impact on students.
- Justin Nordstrom, professor of history, received the George T. Bobby Advising Award, which acknowledges excellence in academic advising. The award is named for late Professor George T. Bobby, who taught exercise and sports science at Penn State Hazleton from 1967 until his death in 1989. It is presented annually to a faculty member who upholds Bobby’s dedication to academic advising.
- Semyon Litvinov, professor of mathematics, received the Penn State Hazleton Council Teaching Excellence Award, which recognizes excellence in teaching. The award was established by the Penn State Hazleton Council in 1994. Candidates are nominated by students, staff, faculty and friends of the campus.
- Douglas Edmonds, assistant professor of physics, earned the Faculty Scholar Award, which recognizes outstanding achievement in research, scholarship or creative accomplishment. The award recognizes a faculty member who demonstrates outstanding achievement in research, scholarship or creative accomplishment.
- Robert Knight Jr., associate director of student services and engagement, was named the Student Government Association Staff Member of the Year. The award recognizes outstanding commitment to the student experience on campus. Recipients are nominated and selected by students.
- Christopher Goguen, associate professor of biology, received the Student Government Association Faculty Member of the Year, which recognizes outstanding teaching. Recipients are nominated and selected by students.
- Carole Shearer, assistant to the chancellor, received the Outstanding Staff Award. The award honors a staff member who goes above and beyond their duties with a high degree of excellence, professionalism and integrity, which contributes to the overall college environment and experience.