Parent & Guardian FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions

Is there a timeline for what my child can expect as a Penn State student?

  • June - NSO (New Student Orientation)
    Students and families attend
    Fall schedules are generated
    First Year Engagement (FYE) classes are determined
  • August - Orientation
    Student introduction to college life
    Students meet advisors, college representatives, FYE instructors and campus staff
  • 1st 10 Days of Semester - Drop/Add Period
    Schedules can be changed without using late drop credits
    Schedule changes are to be done in consultation with an adviser
  • 4th Week of Each Semester
    Initial opportunity for formal assessment of progress
    Student's attendance and progress to date are reported
  • 7th Week of Each Semester
    Mid-Term D's and F's are assigned
    Opportunity for student to discuss progress with instructors
    Decide if course should be dropped
    NOTE: Satisfactory course work does not generate a mid-term notice
  • Late Drop Deadline - Date determined per semester - check University Calendar
    Last chance to drop a course
    Dropping a course to be done in consultation with an adviser.
  • October/November - Schedule for spring semester - date determined by student's credit count
  • Early December - Spring semester tuition due
  • Last day of classes - date determined per semester
    Withdrawal deadline
  • January of sophomore year
    Student uses LionPATH to formally apply for a major

We're considering Penn State Hazleton as our child's college choice. Do you recommend visiting the campus before applying, and how can we arrange a visit?

Penn State Hazleton is located in northeastern Pennsylvania, near the intersection of Interstates 80 and 81. The 125-acre scenic campus offers students the resources of a Big Ten university in a small campus setting.

We definitely recommend that you and your child visit our campus, either before applying or immediately after submitting an application. A student Lion Ambassador will happily give you a tour of the campus and answer any questions you may have, and an admissions counselor will explain the application and admissions process. A student aid representative is also available to discuss any concerns regarding financing your child's education.

You can contact the Office of Admissions at 570-450-3142 to schedule an appointment. Visit our Admissions page to register for scheduled on-campus admission activities.

When should my child submit her/his application for admissions?

We recommend that applications for first-year admission be submitted by November 30. Applications will be accepted after that and will be evaluated in a rolling fashion. Transfer admission applications should be submitted as soon as possible prior to the start of the desired semester, due to the lengthier evaluation of transfer credit process.

How will Penn State Hazleton notify my child of its decision regarding the application for admission?

All students are notified through the mail regarding the outcome of the application evaluation.

Are admission requirements for out-of-state students different than those for in-state students?

No, all students are evaluated in the same manner.

When will my child need to "transfer" to University Park campus?

We never use the term "transfer" to describe the process of relocating from one campus location to another. That's because at Penn State University, every campus location is equal. Every credit earned at a campus is equal to credits offered at University Park, and students who begin their studies at a campus location are on equal footing with their counterparts at University Park when it comes to Entrance to Major in the junior year.

At Penn State, the process of relocating from one campus to another is called Change of Location, and this typically takes place after completing the first two years of full-time study toward a baccalaureate degree. Change of Location requests submitted prior to the completion of two years of study are only granted in extreme cases in which the student would not be able to meet the curricular requirements of the chosen major.

How much access will my child have to faculty?

With an average class size of just 25 students, students find it easy to keep in touch and develop strong relationships with faculty. All faculty keep office hours equal to the hours they are in the classroom. Information about the faculty member's office hours is always included in the course syllabus, and students are encouraged to take advantage of this time. In addition, e-mail has opened up a whole new avenue for communication between students and faculty, making it even easier to stay in touch.

Can my child start and finish his/her entire education at Penn State Hazleton?

Sometimes. Typically, your child will complete the first two years of nearly all of Penn State's 275 degree programs at the Hazleton campus. The final two years of these programs can be finished at Penn State University Park or at a variety of other Penn State campuses.

In addition, the campus offers ten baccalaureate degrees and five associate degree programs that can be started and finished entirely at Penn State Hazleton. For a list of degrees offered, please visit our Degrees and Majors Page.

Is help available if my child is having trouble in class?

The Student Success Center at Penn State Hazleton is a resource for students who are having difficulty with a particular course as well as for students who aim to maintain a high academic standing. The TLRC provides information and academic enrichment for most courses, writing assistance, skill instruction and enhancement, and a wide variety of workshops.

Can my child live on campus, and if so, can he/she bring a car?

Approximately half of Penn State Hazleton students live on-campus in residence halls, while the other half is a mix of off-campus and commuting students. There are three options for living on-campus: traditional rooms in South Hall, four-person suites in North Hall, and townhouse suites in West Hall. Designated parking areas for on-campus and off-campus registered student vehicles are free and plentiful.

My child has a disability. Whom should we contact at Penn State Hazleton to discuss disability issues?

Penn State is committed to providing access to a quality education for students, including those with documented disabilities. The campus disability coordinator is Tammy Spevak. She can be contacted at 570-450-3017.

How much does it cost to attend Penn State Hazleton?

Penn State offers an excellent value for a quality education with a worldwide reputation for excellence. Penn State establishes tuition rates and fees for all students each year in July. To calculate the most accurate tuition for your child, consult the online Tuition Calculator.    

How can I find out if my child is eligible for financial aid?

To be considered for student aid, all Penn State students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on the Web. This is the only financial aid application Penn State requires.

What is the Penn State Hazleton Federal school code number?

003329. This is the same code used for the entire University and it is described on the application as Penn State University Park. Don't worry, though, this number is correct. All financial aid is processed centrally through the Office of Student Aid at the University Park campus. 

What is the deadline for applying for financial aid?

Penn State recommends that first-year students submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)  on the web by February 15 for maximum consideration of all student aid programs. Returning students should submit a FAFSA renewal by April 15. 


If we own a house in Pennsylvania, are we eligible for PA residency?

To qualify for in-state tuition, your family needs to reside in Pennsylvania. Owning a house in Pennsylvania alone does not qualify a student for PA residency tuition. To change your child's status from out-of-state to in-state, you will need proof of residency, including PA income tax and Federal income tax forms for the most current year.

Will I have access to my child's grades?

Due to federal regulations, parents do not have access to their child's grades. Only if the student gives written permission to the Registrar's office can grades be released to parents.

How can I notify my health insurance company that my child is a full-time student?

The simplest way is for your child to request an enrollment verification via LionPATH. A verification statement will be mailed either to your home or any address your request within 2-3 days.

What if I cannot pay my child's tuition bill by the due date?

Penn State offers a Deferred Payment Plan that allows you the convenience of splitting your tuition bill into three payments. Instructions for the Deferred Payment Plan appear on the semester bill. A $45 fee per semester is required.

How safe is the campus?

Penn State Hazleton is a very safe location, with coverage by University Police twenty-four hours a day.