Parent & Family Resources

Whether you are a parent or family member sending your first student to college or you have been down this road before, there will be times when you have questions. We welcome you to contact the campus anytime, but we encourage you to look at the resources and pages below with frequently asked questions.


Access to Student Information


Athletics & Ticketing

Financial Aid

Graduating Seniors

Health & Wellness

Housing & Food Services


Technology at Penn State

Transportation & Lodging

Academic FAQ

Is there a timeline for what my child can expect as a Penn State student?

June - NSO (New Student Orientation)
Students and families attend
Fall schedules are generated
First Year Engagement (FYE) classes are determined
August - Orientation
Student introduction to college life
Students meet advisers, college representatives, FYE instructors and campus staff
First 10 days of semester - Drop/Add Period
Schedules can be changed without using late drop credits
Schedule changes are to be done in consultation with an adviser
Fourth week of each semester
Initial opportunity for formal assessment of progress
Student's attendance and progress to date are reported
Seventh week of each semester
Mid-term D's and F's are assigned
Opportunity for student to discuss progress with instructors
Decide if course should be dropped
NOTE: Satisfactory course work does not generate a mid-term notice
Late Drop Deadline - Date determined per semester - check University Calendar
Last chance to drop a course, which should be done in consultation with an adviser.
October/November - Schedule classes for spring semester - date determined by student's credit count
Early December - Spring semester tuition due
Last day of classes - date determined per semester
Withdrawal deadline
January of sophomore year
Student uses LionPATH to formally apply for a major

At Penn State, how is a "campus" different from a "college"?

Colleges at Penn State differ from campuses.

Campus: Where students take classes, and in many cases reside. Penn State has 24 undergraduate campuses throughout the state.

College: A college grants the degree once required courses are completed. In addition to the 12 colleges at University Park, Penn State offers six other academic colleges that allow students to finish their degrees at a campus other than University Park. Those colleges are Abington College, Altoona College, Behrend College (at the Erie campus), Berks College, Capital College (at the Harrisburg campus) and University College (at the 14 other campuses). 

Most degree-seeking Penn State students attend a campus and are enrolled in a college. A complete list of colleges and campuses can help to better illustrate the differences, and the Undergraduate Bulletin provides context for degree-granting programs and units.

My student is struggling academically. What resources are available?

Your student’s academic success is a high priority at Penn State Hazleton, where every student counts. Multiple opportunities exist for students who are having difficulty with classes to seek help.  Students are encouraged to contact their advisers, speak to their professors, or seek services through the Student Success Center in the Butler Teaching and Learning Resource Center and through the Math Dimension in the library.

Students may also have special needs that require different kinds of assistance. Student Disability Resources helps students with documented disabilities on a case-by-case basis. Intake appointments are required for service.

Who is my student’s adviser?

All students can find their adviser’s information in LionPATH on the bottom right of their main student center page. If a specific adviser is not listed on the LionPATH menu, students are encouraged to contact the advising office.

What is a degree audit?

A degree audit is a computer-generated analysis that enables the student and his/her adviser to assess the student's academic progress and unfulfilled baccalaureate, associate degree, or minor requirements. The audit is a valuable tool for academic planning and course selection, because it matches the courses that the student has taken with the requirements of his/her degree program or anticipated program. A student may access degree audits via LionPATH.

Is tutoring available for students?

Your student can schedule tutoring sessions through the Student Success Center in Butler TLRC and through the Math Dimension in the library. Services are available for all students to improve their grades and grade-point averages.

Where can my students buy textbooks?

The Penn State Bookstore is located on the campus mall between the Butler TLRC and the Kostos Building. New, used and e-books are available for purchase, and book rentals are also offered.

Students may also purchase books from other online vendors or bookstores based on their needs.

How do students schedule their classes?

New students who are admitted for summer or fall sessions will schedule their courses with an adviser’s assistance during New Student Orientation. Students admitted in January work with an adviser before the start of classes to register for courses.

After the first semester, students schedule courses using LionPATH. We encourage your student to speak to their adviser before scheduling each semester. Scheduling courses that do not follow an academic plan towards degree attainment can extend a student’s time in college past the traditional four years.

How much access will my child have to faculty?

With an average class size of just 25 students, students find it easy to keep in touch and develop strong relationships with faculty. All faculty keep office hours equal to the hours they are in the classroom. Information about the faculty member's office hours is always included in the course syllabus, and students are encouraged to take advantage of this time. Students may also keep in touch with faculty members through email.

Can my child start and finish his/her entire education at Penn State Hazleton?

Yes, the campus offers ten baccalaureate degrees and five associate degree programs that can be started and finished entirely at Penn State Hazleton. For a list of degrees offered, please visit our Degrees and Majors page.

Your child also has the option to complete the first two years of nearly all of Penn State's 275 degree programs at the Hazleton campus. The final two years of these programs can be finished at Penn State University Park or at a variety of other Penn State campuses.

Access to Student Information FAQ

What is FERPA?

FERPA is the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act and is a federal law that was enacted in 1974. FERPA protects the privacy of student education records. All educational institutions that receive federal funding must comply with FERPA. More information is available at

What are “educational records"?

Educational records are defined as records, files, documents and other materials that contain information directly related to a student and are maintained by Penn State or by a person acting for the University. Education records take many forms, including paper and electronic. Education records include:

Class lists
Student course schedules
Disciplinary records
Student financial records
Payroll records for employees who are employed as a direct result of their status as a student (such as work study, assistantships, resident assistants, etc.)

Are there any records that are NOT considered educational records?

The following records are excluded from the definition of educational records:

“Sole Possession” records made by faculty and staff for their own use as reference or memory aids and not shared with others.
Personal observations
University law enforcement records
Medical and mental health records used only for the treatment of a student
Alumni records
Peer-graded papers and exams prior to the grade being recorded in the instructor’s grade book

What does the law mean when it says that students have the right to control disclosure of their educational records?

It means that a student’s education records may be disclosed ONLY WITH the student’s prior written consent. The prior written consent must:

Specify the records to be released
State the purpose of the disclosure
Identify the parties to whom the disclosure may be made
Be signed and dated by the student

This means that there may be times when a university official cannot provide you with the information you are seeking without written consent from your student. Written consent via email must be sent from the student’s Penn State email account.

Are there any conditions under which student education records may be disclosed without a student’s consent?

Yes, FERPA does contain some exceptions to the written consent rule. Those exceptions allow disclosure without consent:

To university officials with legitimate educational interests
To comply with judicial order or lawfully issued subpoena
To appropriate parties in a health or safety emergency in order to protect the student or others
To parents in the cases of drug or alcohol violations when the student is under the age of 21
To the provider or creator of a record to verify the validity of that record
To organizations conducting research studies on behalf of the university, provided there is a written agreement between the university and the research organization
To officials at an institution in which the student seeks or intends to enroll or is currently enrolled

Is there any student information that can be released without the student’s permission?

FERPA permits each institution to define a class of information as “directory information.” FERPA permits public disclosure of directory information without the student’s consent.

Directory information is information contained in the student’s education record that would not generally be considered harmful or an invasion of privacy if disclosed. The list of Penn State’s directory items can be found on the Registrar’s website. This site also includes information about how to withhold directory information if your student wishes to do so.

Admissions FAQ

We're considering Penn State Hazleton as our child's college choice. Do you recommend visiting the campus before applying, and how can we arrange a visit?

Penn State Hazleton is located in northeastern Pennsylvania, near the intersection of Interstates 80 and 81. The 125-acre scenic campus offers students the resources of a Big Ten university in a small campus setting.

We definitely recommend that you and your child visit our campus, either before applying or immediately after submitting an application. A student Lion Ambassador will happily give you a tour of the campus and answer any questions you may have, and an admissions counselor will explain the application and admissions process. A student aid representative is also available to discuss any concerns regarding financing your child's education.

You can contact the Office of Admissions at 570-450-3142 to schedule an appointment. Visit our Admissions page to register for scheduled on-campus admission activities.

When should my child submit her/his application for admissions?

We recommend that applications for first-year admission be submitted by November 30. Applications will be accepted after that and will be evaluated in a rolling fashion. Transfer admission applications should be submitted as soon as possible prior to the start of the desired semester, due to the lengthier evaluation of transfer credit process.

Will it help if a family member graduated from Penn State?

If a parent, grandparent, sibling, spouse or child is an alumnus of Penn State, this will be taken into consideration.

How will Penn State Hazleton notify my child of its decision regarding the application for admission?

All students are notified by email and through the mail regarding the outcome of the application evaluation.

Are admission requirements for out-of-state students different than those for in-state students?

No, all students are evaluated in the same manner.

When will my child need to "transfer" to University Park campus?

At Penn State University, every campus location is equal. Every credit earned at a campus is equal to credits offered at University Park, and students who begin their studies at a campus location are on equal footing with their counterparts at University Park when it comes to Entrance to Major in the junior year.

At Penn State, the process of relocating from one campus to another is called Change of Location, and this typically takes place after completing the first two years of full-time study toward a baccalaureate degree. Change of Location requests submitted prior to the completion of two years of study are only granted in extreme cases in which the student would not be able to meet the curricular requirements of the chosen major.

Athletics & Ticketing FAQ

My student wants to participate in athletics at Penn State Hazleton. Is that an option?

Yes. While most Penn State Hazleton student-athletes are recruited to a team specifically for their academic and athletic abilities, there are opportunities for other students to try out for each sport offered at Hazleton. Students who are interested in participating should contact the coach of the sport they wish to play to get more information about the program and when tryouts take place.

How do students and families get tickets to attend Penn State Hazleton athletic events?

Most Penn State Hazleton athletic events are free to students, parents and other fans. For any events that do charge an admission fee, tickets are available at the door. Generally, Penn State Hazleton sporting events that charge an admission fee benefit athletics directly or a student organization on campus.

Where can I find more information about Penn State Hazleton athletics?

You can visit our website at for schedules and stats, roster information and game recaps. Follow athletics on Twitter @PSUHNAthletics and on Instagram @psuhazletonsports.

How do students get football tickets for Beaver Stadium?

To learn about the process for students to obtain football tickets, along with current rules and explanations, visit Student Central. If your student cannot find the answer to a ticketing question at Student Central, please direct the inquiry to 1-800-NITTANY (1-800-648-8269) for assistance.

How can parents & family members get football tickets or tickets to other Penn State athletic events at University Park?

You can purchase football tickets through the Athletic Ticket Office by phoning (814) 863-1000 or 1-800-Nittany (1-800-648-8269) or on their website.

Tickets can be purchased online for the following sports: baseball, wrestling, basketball (Nittany Lions & Lady Lions), men’s and women’s gymnastics, men’s and women’s ice hockey, softball, and women’s volleyball. Calls about other sports can be directed to the Athletic Ticket Office or the website. 

Where can I get information about concerts and shows at Penn State University Park?

Various venues in State College and University Park host a wealth of diverse shows and artists throughout the year. Tickets can be purchased for shows at the Bryce Jordan CenterPennsylvania Centre Stage, the School of Theatre and the Penn State Downtown Theatre.

Financial Aid FAQ

How much does it cost to attend Penn State Hazleton?

Penn State offers an excellent value for a quality education with a worldwide reputation for excellence. Penn State establishes tuition rates and fees for all students each year in July. To calculate the most accurate tuition for your child, consult the online Tuition Calculator.    

How can I find out if my child is eligible for financial aid?

To be considered for student aid, all Penn State students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This is the only financial aid application Penn State requires.

What is the Penn State Hazleton federal school code number?

003329. This is the same code used for the entire University, and it is described on the application as Penn State University Park. Don't worry, though, this number is correct. All financial aid is processed centrally through the Office of Student Aid at the University Park campus. 

What is the deadline for applying for financial aid?

Penn State recommends that first-year students submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by February 15 for maximum consideration of all student aid programs. Returning students should submit a FAFSA renewal by April 15. 

If we own a house in Pennsylvania, are we eligible for PA residency?

To qualify for in-state tuition, your family needs to reside in Pennsylvania. Owning a house in Pennsylvania alone does not qualify a student for PA residency tuition. To change your child's status from out-of-state to in-state, you will need proof of residency, including PA income tax and federal income tax forms for the most current year.

What if I cannot pay my child's tuition bill by the due date?

Penn State offers a Deferred Payment Plan that allows you the convenience of splitting your tuition bill into three payments. Instructions for the Deferred Payment Plan appear on the semester bill. A $45 fee per semester is charged.

Graduating Seniors FAQ

Where can I find the date for graduation?

The date for graduation can be found on the academic calendar.

Where does commencement take place at Penn State Hazleton?

Commencement takes place in the Dr. Thomas M. Caccese Gymnasium in the Physical Education Building on campus.

How can I get tickets to graduation?

You will not need to present tickets for admission into graduation at Penn State Hazleton. Graduates are permitted to invite whomever they wish to attend their commencement ceremony.

When can I arrive for graduation ceremonies?

The commencement ceremony begins at 7:00 p.m. Doors open at 6:00 p.m. for seating. You may arrive earlier to take pictures around the campus, if you wish.

How do students confirm that they are graduating?

Your student is responsible for notifying Penn State about their intent to graduate. The process is simple, but requires their attention and action. Before their last semesters, students should consult the academic calendar for the dates to activate their intent to graduate. During the time frame (usually before and during the first month of the semester), students must log onto their LionPATH account. They must activate their intent to graduate online. If students do not activate their intent to graduate during the specified dates, they must contact their colleges directly. Students who fail to confirm their graduation prior to their college’s preparation of commencement materials will not be listed in the commencement program.

Do students who are receiving financial aid have any responsibilities before graduation?

If students have been awarded a Federal Stafford Loan, Federal Perkins Loan or University Loan and are leaving Penn State (i.e., graduating or withdrawing for even one semester), they need to complete an online interactive loan exit interview on LionPATH. If they do not, a hold may be placed on their academic records.

Housing & Food Services FAQ

Can students receive packages and special deliveries?

Your student can receive and pick up packages at the Housing and Food Services Office by showing their Penn State id+ Card. They will receive an email to let them know that they have received a package. Special deliveries, such as flowers, will be processed the same way through the HFS Office. Direct deliveries to rooms and inside halls are prohibited. Packages should not be shipped more than two weeks prior to the beginning of the semester. We recommend packages are insured and tracked to ensure proper delivery. All packages and deliveries should be addressed to the student’s official name using this campus address:

Student’s Full Name
Room & Hall
17 University Drive
Hazleton, PA 18202

Is housing available on campus for four years?

On-campus housing is not guaranteed. Students interested in living on campus must participate in the eLiving Housing Contract process by submitting a request for a Housing Contract during the established timeline. If there are more requests for contracts than there are spaces, students who do not receive a random offer will automatically be added to the waitlist. Information sessions are conducted during the fall semester to help students navigate the process. For additional information about the process, visit the Housing Contract website.

Are my student’s items in the room insured?

Please consult your homeowners or renter’s insurance to see what is covered under your policy. The university does not take responsibility for damage of personal belongings. It is strongly encouraged that your student purchase renter’s insurance.

Are there any restrictions on what a student brings to his/her room?

Please see the terms and conditions of the student’s contract for a complete list of prohibited items.

Can a student decorate his/her room?

Yes, a student is permitted to decorate his/her room according to the policies and guidelines listed in the terms and conditions of the student’s housing contract. Please be sure to consult that list. Damage caused by failure to follow the guidelines may result in a damage charge on the student’s bursar account.

What if my student has a roommate problem?

The first person students should talk with is their roommate, who may not even realize that there is a concern. If that approach is uncomfortable or awkward, students should go directly to their RA for assistance in identifying the best approach. The RA can also be helpful in facilitating a discussion between roommates.

Can students have guests in their room?

Students are permitted to have guests in their room only if there is no objection from their roommate. At the beginning of the semester, the roommates should discuss how they each feel about having guests in the room. If there are any concerns about having guests of the opposite gender or overnight guests, it’s important to share those preferences with their roommate. It’s also a good idea to come to an agreement on times when guests will or will not be allowed in the room. Overnight guests can stay for a maximum of three consecutive nights. Guests must be escorted at all times. Residents are not permitted to have overnight guests in the room prior to the first day of classes.

Can the dining commons provide food for special diets or for students with food allergies?

The dining commons features a variety of menu options and will try to accommodate reasonable requests, but it is not possible to provide for all special diets. Menu cards that include some allergy information are displayed with most food items to assist students in making diet-appropriate choices. Icons indicate if items contain milk or milk products, wheat or wheat products, fish or shellfish products, nuts or nut products, soy and soy products, and eggs or egg products. When in doubt, students are advised to ask a manager if an item contains a particular ingredient. If your student has a food allergy, please call Food Services at 570-450-3120 prior to your student’s arrival for assistance.

Are vegetarian or vegan choices available?

Yes, items are served at every meal in Highacres Café.

Health & Wellness FAQ

What do I do if my student becomes ill while at school?

Your student is encouraged to use the resources at the health center between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday-Friday. The campus nurse can provide general advice for colds and influenzas that affect the students and administer basic first aid. A physician visits the health center three days a week to see students.

If the student requires further medical attention or requires assistance when the health center is unavailable, students are encouraged to use local resources:

Geisinger Careworks Urgent Care
6 Diana Lane
West Hazleton, PA 18202

564 W. Broad St.
Hazleton, PA 18201

Hazleton Urgent Care
101 S. Church St.
Hazleton, PA 18201

Lehigh Valley Hospital—Hazleton
700 E. Broad St.
Hazleton, PA 18201

Will parents be notified if a student is ill?

Our standard protocol does not include a call to parents or family when a student becomes ill, unless the student requests that the family member be notified. 

If a student’s illness or injury is life threatening, emergency notification protocols will be followed.  Please encourage your student to make sure their emergency contact information is current and accurate.

What should my student do if their illness or injury is affecting their ability to study?

Please encourage your student to contact their professors regarding any absences, missed assignments, etc. If the student is having trouble communicating with a professor, the student can speak with their academic adviser.

If my student is sent to the hospital in an emergency situation, which hospital will be used?

If students are transported to the hospital from the campus, most students will be transported to Lehigh Valley Hospital in Hazleton:
Lehigh Valley Hospital—Hazleton
700 E. Broad St.
Hazleton, PA 18201

Involvement FAQ

What options does my student have for staying busy and getting involved?

Penn State Hazleton offers more than 15 clubs and organizations in which your student can be involved, ranging from academic-focused groups like the Psychology Club to charitable organizations like THON. A wide variety of intramural and recreational sports and fitness classes are also offered for students. Additionally, there are two game rooms on campus offering a selection of video games, billiards and ping pong. Students can stop by 105 Butler to learn more about the opportunities! 

My student doesn’t know when things are happening and seems to be missing the big events. Where can students find out what’s happening on campus?

The Office of Student Affairs publishes a monthly calendar detailing all the activities happening on campus every day. Calendars are available at the beginning of the month in Butler, residence halls and in 105 Butler. Activities and events are published on the campus blue screen as well as in most campus buildings. Upcoming events are also promoted on the campus’ social media accounts.

The Office of Residence Life sends out an email newsletter to all residential students with upcoming events and important information. Likewise, commuter students receive an email newsletter/update from Student Affairs with information on upcoming programs and events. Flyers and posters are also posted all over campus for all programs and events.

My student isn’t making friends. How does the campus help students interact?

There are some great opportunities to interact with other students on campus throughout the semester. On the second Wednesday of fall and spring semesters, a campus-wide club fair, where students can see what clubs and organizations exist, is held to allow students to meet other students with like-minded interests. 

The Office of Student Affairs publishes a monthly calendar detailing all the activities happening on campus every day. Calendars are available at the beginning of the month in Butler, residence halls and 105 Butler. If your student lives in a residence hall, there are many opportunities to meet new students and to participate in activities and events geared towards our residential students. Getting involved is a great way to meet new people and make some new friends!

Technology at Penn State FAQ

Do the residence halls have wireless Internet connections?

Yes, the residence halls have a wireless connection. However, personal routers are not permitted and certain devices (Apple TV, Roku, etc.) do not connect to the wireless network. You can request a wired connection for these devices.

What are the minimum requirements for a computer?

Operating system
Windows 8/8.1 or higher; Mac OS X 10.9 or higher recommended

2 GHz or higher

4 GB of RAM or higher

Hard drive space
128GB capacity or higher; 60 GB of free space

Internet connection
WiFi card for wireless Internet recommended

Additional hardware
Microphone and Web camera are recommended

Internet Explorer or Safari
It is highly recommended that users install the latest Canvas-supported version of Firefox.

Additional software
Microsoft Office 2013 or later
Antivirus software

Can I connect to the wireless network when I visit my student?

You can access the visitors’ wireless network by connecting your wireless device to “attwifi.” Open your device browser and attempt to connect to the website you wish to visit. Click the “Get Connected” button to agree to the terms of service. 

Technology resources for students

Information Technology for students

Technology Resources (Includes links to user account information, free software downloads, access to storage, campus-specific resources and learning resources)

2018-2019 Student Technology Guide

Transportation & Lodging FAQ

Can my child live on campus, and if so, can he/she bring a car?

Approximately half of Penn State Hazleton students live on-campus in residence halls, while the other half is a mix of off-campus and commuting students.
Designated parking areas for on-campus and off-campus registered student vehicles are free and plentiful.

How can my student get around without a car?

There is a shuttle service that runs regularly throughout the day to bring students from the residential area at the bottom of the campus to the academic area at the top of the campus. This service is free to Penn State students.

There is also a free bus service provided to students to navigate around the local area. The stops include Walmart and the Laurel Mall, among other Hazleton stops. The route and complete schedule can be found online.

Where can I stay when I visit the area?

There are a number of accommodations near Penn State Hazleton..