Academic advisers help students identify and achieve their academic goals through directed interaction with both faculty and professional advisers. The intention is to facilitate informed decision making in and out of the classroom. Since advising is a shared enterprise, both advisers and advisees need to be actively engage in the process. Advisers encourage advisees to become engaged in their education, to meet their educational goals, and to develop the habit of learning. Ultimately, advisees will assume final responsibility for the successful completion of their program requirements.
Responsibilities of Advisers and Advisees
Both advisers and advisees share responsibilities for the advising relationship to succeed. Advisers encourage advisees to become engaged in their education, to meet their educational goals, and to develop the habit of learning. Advisees will routinely contact their advisers each semester and will assume final responsibility for course scheduling, program planning and the successful completion of graduation requirements.
Advisers and advisees will:
- Actively participate in the advising process
- Be responsible for their own actions
- Be on time and prepared for appointments
- Be willing to discuss problems and challenges
- Respect each other
Campuses are linked to a University-wide network outlining the course requirements and latest information about academic majors throughout the University. This network includes academic advising specialists available to help students with their advising and information questions. Please stop by the Advising and Career Center for assistance with advising, online resources including LionPATH and Starfish, and other academic processes (i.e. change of major or campus) at Penn State.
Making an Appointment with Your Academic Adviser or Career Services through Starfish
- Click Schedule Appointment below the contact information for the desired person or service in the My Success Network or Courses.
- Use the small calendar on the left to quickly identify days with available office hours (available days will be shown in bold). Click the desired date in the small monthly calendar to display availability on that day.
- Available time slots on the selected day will include a Sign Up link.
- Click the Sign Up link associated with the desired time slot.
- This opens the Add Appointment field. Complete the form by selecting a reason for the meeting (and a course if relevant). Include an explanation of what you need so that your instructor or adviser can be prepared for the meeting.
- Click Submit to set the appointment. You will get an email with the appointment details and the appointment will be listed on your Dashboard.
- If you choose to cancel an appointment, please do so as far in advance as possible so the slot can be used by another student.