The application review of a transfer student is based on the student’s work at their previous institutions.
Developing an academic plan will be an important part of this process. While not all degree programs are available to transfer students, we will work with you to make the most of your transfer credits.
As a transfer student, you have three options:
- You may enter and complete your degree at Penn State Hazleton
- You may enter Penn State Hazleton then “transition” to complete your Penn State degree at University Park or another campus.
- You may apply to “transfer” directly to University Park or another campus if you have completed 60+ college credits.
If you are unsure of your intended program or do not meet the minimum requirements, please contact Elena Boyle, Associate Director of Admissions, to discuss alternative methods of entering the University.
GPA and Program Requirements
The minimum GPA required to transfer to Penn State Hazleton is 2.0. This is a Penn State calculation based on your GPA from all of your previous colleges. If you’ve repeated a course in the past, both grades are included.
While a GPA of 2.0 is required for acceptance into most degree programs, the Childhood and Early Adolescent Education, PK-4 option requires a 3.0 GPA minimum.
Additionally, the Smeal College of Business at Penn State University Park has specific admissions criteria, though many other business majors are available.
High School Requirements
You must have completed certain high school courses, including math or foreign language. Please refer to the following charts for minimum requirements for both four-year and two-year degrees.
- High school course requirements for 4-year degrees
- High school course requirements for 2-year degrees
Students who are deficient should plan to make up the course work before entering Penn State. In some cases, accommodations are made at Penn State for adults and military veterans.