Fall Students of the Month named

HAZLETON, Pa. — Penn State Hazleton has announced its Students of the Month for the fall semester.

Mari Magabo, a senior at Penn State Hazleton, has been selected by campus faculty as the September Student of the Month, the first to be selected as part of the new initiative.

Magabo is majoring in engineering with the alternative energy and power generation track. She hopes to pursue a career in alternative energy and sustainability.

“I think that all my professors in the engineering department, and Dr. Starling, have helped me tremendously as a student by providing me guidance and knowledge in my field,” she said.

Magabo previously served as vice president of the Student Government Association and was part of the Faculty Senate and Music Club.

She is a graduate of Hazleton Area High School and is the daughter of Artemio and Myrene Magabo, of Hazleton.

Lauren Nietz, a junior majoring in rehabilitation and human services, has been named Student of the Month for October.

Nietz is a graduate of Marian Catholic High School and the daughter of Coaldale residents Rita and Jeff Nietz, an alumnus of Penn State Hazleton.

She is involved in THON at Penn State Hazleton. She also organized a collection of backpacks and other bags at Penn State Hazleton for local foster children this semester, garnering more than 300 bags for the children to transport their possessions. The bags were given to a Hazleton organization, Brandon’s Forever Home, that works with foster children in Luzerne County. The children can choose a bag and fill it with anything they want or need from Brandon’s Forever Home, which is stocked with clothing, toys and books. Before the organization’s founding in 2014, foster children were given a garbage bag to take their things from home to home.

Nietz plans to earn a master’s degree in a field related to rehabilitation and human services and spend her career working with children who have behavioral issues. Her experience with Brandon’s Forever Home allowed her to gain firsthand experience about the populations she will work with. She was also able to see the motivation of others who are making a difference and learn from them.

Madeline “Maddie” Vetter has been named the Student of the Month for November.

She is a junior studying Intermediate English education (grades 4-8) who will transition to Penn State Harrisburg in spring 2018 to complete her bachelor’s degree with a minor in English as a second language. She hopes to eventually pursue a doctoral degree and also complete an associate degree in radiology to become a technician.

“Maddie is a hardworking student who really cares about this campus and her fellow classmates. She’s always willing to help others, and is positive (and smiling) in her daily actions,” her nominator wrote.

Vetter is the daughter of Dawn and Harry Vetter, of Hazleton, and is a graduate of Marian Catholic High School.

She worked in the campus admissions office and as a tour guide as a member of Penn State Hazleton Lion Ambassadors. She works at a senior assisted living facility and during the summers she works in administration for the Hazleton Area School District. She also volunteers at the Hazleton Integration Project tutoring children.

“I think every single person who I have crossed paths with on this campus has impacted me. From the maintenance men and women, to the dietary staff, our chancellor, public men and women who use the library, other students, professors, and staff members have all made me aware of something I was not before and have shown me various ways of looking at the world around me. I couldn't be more blessed to have spent two and a half years at this campus,” Vetter said.