Home Campus Directory | A-Z Index

Does anyone have access to my health information?

The only people who have access to your health information are you and your health care provider. No one can have access to any information regarding your visits to Health Services without your permission. In most cases this means completing a special form called a release of information form. You indicate what information is to be released and to whom it will be sent. A copy of the form is retained in your files.


What do I do in case of any emergency?

Call 911. If you are on campus the dispatcher will notify Campus Police Services and the Health Services.


What if I need care at night after the Health Services closes?

If you are living on campus,you may first contact your Resident Assistant for help. You may also proceed to the Emergency Room at Hazleton General Hospital, 700 E. Broad St. (phone 570-501-4000) If you are living off campus, you can go to the Hazleton General Hospital Emergency Room.


Is the Health Services the same as the school nurse?

No. Health Services provides primary care for the student population on campus much like the health care you would receive from your Primary Care Provider. Care on campus is provided by a full-time Nurse Practitioner who is also on staff at a private pediatric practice in Hazleton.


What is a Nurse Practitioner?

A Nurse Practitioner is a registered nurse who has completed advanced education and clinical training in a health care specialty area. Nurse Practitioners work with people of all ages. Nurse Practitioners practice with a collaborating physician (a physician who is available for consultation or referral at all times) and are governed under the rules and regulations of the Nurse Practice Act of the state in which they work. Most nurse practitioners are nationally certified in their specialty and are recognized as expert health care providers.


What if I am currently being treated for something, can I come to the Health Services office?

If you are currently under medical care for a particular ailment, health services can coordinate that care with your personal physician.


Can I get allergy injections?

Yes, allergy injections can be given through Campus Health Services. The injections can be administered by the nurse practitioner when you bring your allergy serum with you to campus.


If I live on campus and take medications for a chronic health problem, can I keep the medications in my room?



I need to make arrangements to park close to the classrooms. Who do I contact?

Health Services is your first contact. We will provide you with a form that needs to be completed and taken to Police Services. We will ask you to provide a request from your physician, stating the diagnosis requiring special parking. Police Services will then issue a temporary permit and designate the parking location.


My professor states that I must have written verification of any absences caused by illness. Can Health Services help me?

Health Services does not provide class excuses for minor illnesses or injuries that result in absence from class. If one of our providers sees you when you are ill, we can provide you with documentation of the date and time of your visit. We cannot verify illness over the phone or if we have not seen you.

For routine illness-related absences, students should correspond directly with the faculty as soon as possible regarding their situation, ideally before they miss a class, exam, or other evaluative activity.


Do I pay for visits and medications?

Fees are charged for primary health care visits, physicals, immunizations, laboratory studies, and women’s health care visits. Basic visit fees are $20.00. Laboratory fees are discounted for students. The Health Service carries a number of prescription medications, and students are billed if they use them. All charges can be billed to the student's account.


How will I be billed?

The charges are recorded on a three-part superbill. The original is kept in your chart, and you will receive the other 2 copies. One copy may be submitted to your insurance company for reimbursement, and the other copy is for your records. The charges are posted to your student account a few days after your visit. You can pay the bill at the Bursar’s Office in room 212 on the second floor of the Administrative Building. The charges need to be cleared before the end of the semester. The charges may also be paid for with cash or a check made out to Penn State University.


What if I don’t show up for my health care visit?

It is important to call our office and cancel if you decide that your appointment is no longer necessary. A no show fee of $ 10.00 will be assessed for every visit that is not canceled.


Can I pay at the time of the visit?

Yes, we accept cash or checks.


Does the Health Service bill my insurance company for visits or lab tests?

No, since our department is unable to do third party billing we cannot bill insurance companies or accept payment from them.


Can I submit my bills to my insurance company?

Yes, you can submit them. The insurance companies may or may not reimburse you for the health service charges. It will depend on your plan. If you submit the bills to your insurance company make sure that they reimburse you and not the University. If we receive a check from your insurance company, we will have to return it.


What happens if I don’t submit my immunizations online?

The University will block your registration for the following semester. Registration for classes cannot be entered until this is completed and the immunization requirements are met.


Do I need a physical to attend Penn State Hazleton?

No, unless you plan to participate in intercollegiate sports during the semester. A physical is required when you practice or play in the intercollegiate sports program. A physical can be obtained at Health Services or you may bring a note from your primary physician stating that you are cleared to play sports. An athletic clearance form must then be given to Dr. Thomas Caccese, Athletic Director, for you to begin practice for any intercollegiate sport.




Physical exams are required only for students participating in intercollegiate athletics. The form must be signed by the student's physician and returned to Health Services. The student may also receive a physical exam for sports in our health services department. For appointment , call 570-450-3029