Title IX - Education Amendments of 1972
Hazleton Title IX Resources: http://title-ix.psu.edu/Hazleton.html
WHAT IS TITLE IX?
Title IX prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex in any federally funded education program or activity.
UNLAWFUL DISCRIMINATORY PRACTICES UNDER TITLE IX
It is unlawful for a recipient of federal funds to discriminate on the basis of sex against students, faculty and staff. Areas of coverage include but are not limited to:
- Educational programs or activities, athletics, vocational and vocational rehabilitation programs, recreation, physical education, student treatment and services, academic counseling and guidance, discipline, classroom assignment, grading;
- Admission and recruitment, financial aid, housing;
- Medical services, including counseling.
TITLE IX APPLIED TO ATHLETICS
- Requires that female athletes receive equal opportunity in sports participation.
- Requires that female athletes receive athletic scholarship dollars proportional to their participation.
- Requires equal treatment in the provision of (1) equipment and supplies, (2) scheduling of games and practice times, (3) travel and daily allowance, (4) access to tutoring, (5) coaching, (6) locker rooms, (7) practice and competitive facilities, (8) medical and training facilities and services, (9) publicity and promotions, (10) recruitment of student athletes, and (11) support services.
QUESTIONS OR CONCERNS
Members of the Penn State Hazleton community who believe that Title IX has been violated should discuss their concerns and/or file a complaint with the campus’ Title IX Resource Person.
Tracy Garnick, Director of Student Services & Engagement
Butler Teaching and Learning Resource Center, Suite 105
Penn State Hazleton
Hazleton, PA 18202
Phone: (570) 450-3160
Title IX violations can also be discussed with the University’s Title IX Coordinator:
Dr. Kenneth Lehrman III, Vice Provost of Affirmative Action
328 Boucke Building, University Park, PA 16802
Phone: (814) 863-0471; Email: email@example.com
Or the University’s Deputy Coordinators:
Danny Shaha, Director, Office of Student Conduct
120 Boucke Building, University Park, PA 16802
Phone: (814) 863-0342; Email: jds49psu.edu
Charmelle Green, Associate Athletic Director, Intercollegiate Athletics,
102 Jordan Center, University Park, PA 16802
Phone: (814) 865-1104; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Kim Lantz Yoder, Equity Officer Office for Diversity, C1747N
Penn State College of Medicine 500 University Drive,
Hershey, PA 17033-0850
Phone: (717) 531-0003 extension. 283353; Email: email@example.com
Sexual Harassment and Assault Reporting and Education (SHARE)
Website is intended to provide assistance in obtaining information and identifying resources for anyone who becomes aware of these incidents.
PROHIBITION AGAINST RETALIATION
University policy and state and federal law prohibits retaliation against anyone who files a complaint and/or participates in an investigation involving alleged Title IX violations. Retaliation constitutes a separate violation and may result in a sanction independent of the outcome of a complaint.
To file a complaint outside of the University, contact:
Office for Civil Rights, Philadelphia Office
100 Penn Square East, Suite 515
Philadelphia, PA 19107-3323
Phone: (215) 656-8541