The following are required in order to be considered for entrance into the Practical Nursing Program.
I. To file an application, please submit the following:
- $ 75 non-refundable application fee (Cash, check, or money order payable to Penn State University)
- Completed application, including essay
- Completed non-degree application
- Preferred testing date for the TEAS test
- Two letters of character reference
Please provide an official copy of your high school transcript or official copy of your GED along with record of courses you completed while in high school. If you have earned college credit, please provide an official transcript. All transcript must be mailed directly to Penn State Hazleton, Continuing Education, 76 University Drive, Hazleton, PA 18202
II. Upon acceptance to the PN Program, you will be required to complete the following clearances and program requirements:
Please be aware that all clearances must be completed no earlier than six months prior to the start of the program.
*Please note that an online service will be used to collect the items listed below. Specific instructions will be given upon acceptance to the PN Program.
- Federal (FBI) Criminal History report*
- PA Child Abuse History clearance*
- PA State Police request for criminal record check*
- Physical Exam (includes immunizations)
- 9 Panel Drug Screen
- Proof of current CPR certification
- Proof of Health Insurance coverage
- Proof of Liability Insurance coverage
*Admission to the clinical components REQUIRES these mandatory clearances. Any applicant with certain felonies and/or misdemeanors, regardless of the duration of time since conviction, will not be offered admission to the PN program per Pennsylvania State laws ("The Professional Nursing Law" Act 69, P.L. 409, No. 10, and P.L. 233, No. 64; Older Adults Protective Service Act, Act 169 as amended by Act 13, P.L. 233, No. 64) and clinical facility policies.
Applicants are considered based on their academic capacity and their ability to provide care to others. Academic proficiency is measured by: High School GPA, Number of College Credits earned, and the TEAS test, which carries double weight in the scoring process. Ability to provide care is determined by your personal essay, letters of reference, personal interview, and length of time employed in a healthcare occupation.
Interviews will be scheduled as soon as all application materials and TEAS scores are received.
Application materials should be mailed to Practical Nursing Program, Penn State Hazleton, 76 University Drive, Hazleton, PA 18202.