Home Campus Directory | A-Z Index

Many veterans of the Armed Services are eligible to receive financial assistance through the Veterans Administration. If you are eligible for educational benefits due to your military service, you simply need to complete the appropriate paperwork for the educational benefits entitled to you. Eligible students may use this money to supplement their financial aid package.

Many members and former members of the armed services have earned educational benefits as a result of their service. To determine if you are eligible for educational benefits resulting from your military service, you must complete and file the appropriate forms and become certified to receive them. Eligible students may use their benefits to supplement their financial aid package. Veterans can be certified under several chapters.


Contact Information

Sarah Evancho, Student Aid Coordinator/Veteran Certifying Official
222 Administration Building
76 University Drive
Penn State Hazleton
Hazleton, PA 18202-8025


Schedule of Payment Rates

Veterans Administration Educational Benefits


Types of Benefits

Chapter 30- This program is for a veteran who enlisted on or after July 1, 1985 an contributed to the educational fund while on active duty.

Chapter 31- Vocational Rehabilitation - This program is for a veteran with at least a 20% disability rating due to a service connected  injury. 

Chapter 35- Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance - This program provides education assistance for qualifying spouses and children of veterans that either died while on active duty or have a 100% disability rating of due to a service connected injury.

Chapter 33- This is a GI Bill® for individuals who served on active duty on or after September 11, 2001. Provisions include tuition and fees, basic housing allowance, and a stipend for books and
supplies.  Veterans eligible for Chapter 30, 1606 or 1607 may elect Chapter 33.

Chapter 1606- Reservist and National Guard GI Bill® - This program is for members of the Selected reserve or National guard who signed at least a six year contract after July 1, 1985 and who have served at least 180 days of active duty.


Current Students

Each month all Chapter 30 and 1606 enrolled veteran students must complete a self certification to verify their enrollment before payment will be made to you from the veterans administration. Veteran students will be able to verify enrollment for the month on the last day of the month or after. This may be done by either calling the touch tone telephone system at 877-823-2378 or by connecting to the WAVE system.

Priority Registration

Veterans have been granted priority registration by Penn State, meaning that they may schedule classes ahead of students without priority registration based on the timeline set by each campus. Check with the Office of the Registrar to determine the applicable registration dates.

Refer to the Priority Registration Form for full details and instructions. 


Prospective Students

Veteran students must be enrolled in approved degree programs to receive veteran educational benefits. Penn State offers many approved majors from which to choose. Please call our Admissions Office at 800-279-8495 extension 3142 for information about the admission application process, our academic programs and your Veterans Educational Benefits.



"GI Bill®” is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).  More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.


Contact Information

Sarah Evancho
222 Administration Building
Phone: 570-450-3163
Email: sjw37@psu.edu